Q: What are managed services?

A: Managed services are a set of tools and services that can be used to monitor and maintain the health and performance of your network and proactively eliminate problems before they have the chance to effect system up-time.

Q: What is network monitoring? Can you see everything I do on my computers?

A: Network monitoring refers to using devices and programs to monitor the status, health, availability and performance or various devices on a network. This monitoring looks at things like network connectivity, error logs, processor and disk usage and virus definitions. It does not allow someone to see data or what a user might be doing.

Q: What is a MSP?

A: MSP stands for managed service provider. This refers to a company or individual who is capable of providing proactive maintenance.

Q: What does patch update mean, and do I need it?

A: Patch updates are fixes or updates that are released by a software manufacturer to correct security or feature flaws in programs. CN Computer Services Corp. offers complete patch-update and testing services for Microsoft and other products including Windows, Office and Servers. We test and verify each update before deploying it to your system.

Q: What is VoIP and do I need it?

A: VoIP stands for Voice over Internet Protocol. This technology allows businesses to use their data network to carry voice traffic as well as data. This allows a company to stop having to maintain two separate networks: one for voice, and one for data, maintaining which adds up to huge cost savings in very short order.

Q: Is it really cheaper to outsource my IT department?

A: This can be a difficult question to answer. Consider a small company that has about twenty computers and one IT person who works part-time. For less than the wages the part-time IT person is being paid, you could have an entire staff of trained and certified network technicians monitoring and maintaining you network. For a very small company, with under five computers that has no IT staff, it is obviously more costly on the surface to have an outsourced IT staff, however the increased productivity and revenue will more than pay for the costs. Even large companies with many IT professionals can benefit from having a team of extra people ready to help if needed.

Q: I have data cabling in my office, how do I know if I need to upgrade?

A: The only way to be certain is to have a technician come and evaluate your current network and electronically check the wiring. If your connection to the Internet or your server seems slow or is unreliable, bad wiring is a likely suspect. CSC uses only the best products and accessories when installing wiring to ensure the longest possible lifetime and maximum performance and reliability. We are so confident that our wiring will perform that we back it with a 25 year warranty.

Q: What is the difference between Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat7 cable?

A: The differences in cable category have to do with the ability for data to flow over it over a distance. Cat-5 cable is rated for data at distances of up to 100M. Cat-5e cable is rated for up to 350M. Cat-6 cable is rated from 550M to 1000M depending on the source of the cable. And Cat-7 cable is rated from 700M to 1000M. It should be noted that there is currently no official standard for Cat-6 or Cat-7, hence the range of distances.

Q: What is the difference between the various types of cable - UTP, Patch, Stranded, Solid?Fifth question

A: UTP stands for Unshielded Twisted Pair. It is a type of cable that contains insulated copper wires twisted together in pairs. Groups of these pair, usually four pairs, are then placed in a single sheath. UTP cables are the most common type of cabling used in data networks. Stranded cable is made up of several small copper wires in each insulation sleeve, and as a result is more flexible than solid cable. Solid cable uses only one large copper wire in each insulation sleeve. Solid cable has better electrical characteristics than stranded, thus it is usually used for longer runs of cable like through ceilings or inside walls. Patch cables are made from stranded UTP cable and are typically used for very short runs, like from a wall outlet to a computer.

Q: What type of cable do I really need?

A: If you need a patch cord, you can get them pre-made in lengths from one foot to over twenty-five feet. For the best reliability and performance these pre-made cables are the only way to go. If you are making a longer run, especially when running through walls or ceilings, go with Cat-5e (solid) UTP cable and have it professionally installed.

Q: I know someone who can fix my computers, why shouldn't I just use him or her?

A: Computers are a business essential and continuity critical tool for your business. While your brother/sister/uncle/cousin might be a short term solution, it is much better in the long run to employ professionals. Most people who can “do computers” are not trained in how to get the most security and reliability out of computer systems. It is a much better business choice to spend a bit more money now to have trained and certified experts install and configure your computer systems thus avoiding having to pay in lost productivity due to downtime later on.

Q: What is OEM software?

A: OEM software is software that was designed to be bundled with new equipment when it is sold. For example, the version of Windows on any new PC form any computer manufacturer or reseller is OEM software. Retail software can be removed from one computer and installed on a new one within the terms of the license agreement for a particular program.

Q: I already have a copy of Microsoft Office; can I use it on my new PC?

A: Please see the question about OEM software. If it is an OEM version, the answer is no. If it is a retail version, however, the license may be transferred to a new computer if the software is removed from the old one (depending on the license agreement for the version of Office you have). For more information please refer to the End User License Agreement (EULA) on your Office disk.

Q: Why is it important to have a licensed and bonded and insured contractor work on my network?

A: As with any construction, wiring or any other service, if the job is done by someone who is not licensed they are unaware of the building and electrical codes that they must adhere to. As a result of this it is against the law for someone who is not licensed, bonded and insured to work on a business network. Doing so could result in fines or other penalties if an inspector finds improperly done work. This is especially true of cabling and wiring. Improper wiring can render a building uninhabitable until the problems are resolved.

Q: Can I stop my employees from accessing Facebook or other areas on the Internet?

A: Yes, there are many simple and affordable ways to prevent your employees or anyone else on your companies network form accessing pornographic or any other material you feel is inappropriate. There are many appliances and services available to do this, so please call us and we can find the solution that is right for you.

Q: Viruses crashed my computer; can I get any of my data back?

A: In almost every case the answer to this question is yes. There are companies, like Computer Service Corp., that can recover data from computers that have been attacked by viruses. It should be noted that it is never possible to guarantee full data recovery, but it is rare that most if not all of the data from a dead computer can be recovered.